New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

We are moving outside the region in which my ex husband

Customer Question
We are moving outside...

We are moving outside the region in which my ex husband lives. He has refused to allow me to take our daughter with us. I have been her primary care giver since birth. She is 12 and doesn't not wish to live with him. I am not able to afford legal proceedings nor am I eligible for legal aid. Do I have any other options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

New Zealand, Waikato

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I can't afford to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It would also mean separating her from her 4 yr old half brother

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/16/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
The law about relocation can be difficult if you want to move more than about an hour from your former partner. If he won’t consent you could start by trying family mediation which doesn’t need a lawyer. That can set up quickly and costs about $400 for each party. If that doesn’t work you will need to apply to the Family Court and you could do this yourself
But it won’t be an easy case as the presumption is usually against permitting this