New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Who can i talk too that can give me info on how to solidify…

Customer Question
Who can i talk...

Who can i talk too that can give me info on how to solidify my son legally from new zealand even though he is living in australia and i gave birth to him there

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am in new zealand how ever i birthed my son in australia and he lives with
my sister in sydney new south whales

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I am in the process of solidifying shared guardianship papers with my sister how ever it has not yet been signed by myself

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All the legal papers i am wanting to do from here in new zealand (shared guardianship) and im wanting to know how much weight that holds under the australian law and can i do all legal matters regarding my son from here in new zealand even though he was born in australia and lives there also.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/12/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
Are you trying to ensure he becomes an Australian citizen? Did you register the birth there? Have you considered having your sister adopt rather than be a guardian?
i would like to do shared guardianship have the papers processed here in new zealand...what does that mean under australian law and does that hold the same weight over there? his birth is registered there in auz. we dont want adoption.

Agreements about guardianship can be registered in the Family Court in New Zealand and become an order. This order will be recognised in Australia

You can see a Family Lawyer to organise this and discuss what needs to be done

when you say recognised in australia does that mean that if there was any change in circumstances over there with baby and his care will i still have the power to bring him home if need be over and above the australian law?

If you are a joint guardian then you can apply in Australia for the child to be returned, but that wouldnt necessarily be guaranteed. The Australian Family Court would need to look at what was in the best interests of the child