New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My question is base on grandparents visiting rights with…

Customer Question
Hi there my question...

Hi there my question is base on grandparents visiting rights with their granddaughter do we have right

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Our ex-daughter in law just recently stop our granddaughter to visit us a cause l as grandmother let my granddaughter see her father which my ex- daughter in law forbid my granddaughter to see her father

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Theres a lot l want to know and needs help,advice but don't know who to turn to from a grandmothers point of view. This granddaughter of ours has mainly grew up throughout her 9yrs with us and me the grandmother has been the one that looked after her

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/11/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

It is possible to make an application to the Family Court to get contact with your grand daughter. The first step however is to try with a family mediation. This can be accessed through Fairway Resolution, and can be organised quite quickly. The mediator will get you and your daughter together and try to facilitate an agreement to restore contact. If this doesnt work, then you have the option of then going to the Family Court. But most mediations are successful, and you dont need a lawyer for this part.