New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

I am not sure if this is legal, or ethical/moral question…

I am not sure...

I am not sure if this is legal, or ethical/moral question but I hope you might be able to guide me as to where I can seek some help.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in New Zealand About 9 years ago I was working in a coaching/teaching capacity and ended up sleeping with some of my clients. At the time i was burnt out, stressed and had no support. Upon some really misguided advice I really screwed up. I received one email from a clients partner that totally broke my heart and realised what I had done. I summarily lost everything, My practice, my partner who at the time had supported my actions and my self worth and self esteem unable to fully work or engage since.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Who do you recommend I see to resolve this at a personal and professional level as I do not belong to any organisation that has peer review or anyone who can support me through this process.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need to know if I have broken any laws, I don't think so but need clarification. No one has formally complained about these actions. I tried to connect with the person I mentioned above and she considered talking to me and then declined. I now have a new wife and two beautiful children. My wife recommends that I seek professional help with this dilemma as i have suffered depression, sickness and unable to function in the world as before. Just need some clear guidance and don't know who to ask.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2017
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

You have not broken any laws, although i think from reading your post, that you recognise the moral and equitable difficulties. As to moving forward I have some suggestions

Thank you for that clarification, what do you suggest?

The first is that counselling and therapy are really the path forward for dealing with these issues. The second is that if the clients were willing, i would suggest a restorative justice process to deal with the hurt caused to the clients and I could suggest places to find help. That is a consensual process so if the clients dont wont to engage with this then it would not work

Chris The Lawyer
Phone call session started
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer