New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I purchased a 2008 car in January 2017, it had 80000kms when…

Customer Question
Hi, I purchased a...

Hi, I purchased a 2008 car in January 2017, it had 80000kms when I bought it, it now has 86500kms now and been very well maintained, it has now only after only 10 months developed a very loud rattling noise when I started it tonight and wouldn't run right so I switched it off immediately, it originally had a 100 day warranty when I bought it, just want to know if I am covered under the consumer guarantees act before I contact the dealer, cheers Kelvin.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Excellent condition, its a 2008 Nissan Fuga 450gt worth $18500 when purchased.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had a fault with the cruise control when I bought the car that the dealer was made aware of which has still not been resolved.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
10/3/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question todayYou are covered by the Act and the test is whether this is fair wear and tear or is something which should not have happened for a car of this age and mileage.I suggest you approach the dealer on the basis that the act applies and the car should not have developed this problem after 10 months. They are likely to be liable to pay costs of repair and if they refuse, there is a special tribunal called the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal where you can seek an order for payment. Sometimes it is useful to get some independent advice from another mechanic to get an unbiased view of the problem
Okay thank you i will contact the dealer tomorrow and see what his responce will be.
Feel free to follow up