New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I have a situation where a former partner owes my Family…

Customer Question
I have a situation...

I have a situation where a former partner owes my Family Trust $23,416 in unpaid loans and stolen Trust property. Can I place a lien on a house she currently owns to cover the debt?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry its not in the USA - I need a NZ lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, to the person concerned plus bank statement evidence

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's the essence

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
10/2/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you todayYou cannot lodge a lien on her property but you could sue her in car he District Court and then once you have a judgment you can put a charging order on her property.
If the amount is not disputed you can use the summary judgment procedure which is relatively quick but if she Disputes the amount then a short trial could be used which is a bit slower