New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I need free legal advice on potentially filing an appeal…

Customer Question
I need free legal...

I need free legal advice on potentially filing an appeal against a Tribunal decision on immigration matters. Who can I contact please?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No. I'm the so called bad guy in the equation. Sanctions was made against me by the Tribunal and I now have to pay the "poor" migrant an amount of money as well as an amount of money to IAA. This is ridiculous and I was not treated just, honest of fair during the 2.5 years it took the Tribunal to come to a decision. Only the migrants side was taken into account.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I don't have a clue who to contact. I had a lawyer on the case who has cost me more than $25,000.00 but had to terminate his services because I could no longer afford him. He was anyway not doing a good job because what he has said in the papers that he has lodged, has come back to haunt me because Tribunal regards ***** ***** being an attack on IAA and them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much will it cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Immigration Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Sounds fair. I just want to know whether I will have a good change to appeal. If there is not a good change then I will just pay the money and get it finalized. I am a pensioner and will have to borrow that money anyway. If I do not have to pay it, which I think I should not have to, then it will be better.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
You can appeal to The District Court against this decision. The Immigration Advisors Act saysRight of appeal
(1)
A person may appeal to the District Court against any of the following decisions:
(a)
a decision of the Registrar to refuse to license the person as an immigration adviser:
(b)
a decision of the Registrar to grant the person a limited or a provisional licence only, rather than a full licence:
(c)
a decision of the Tribunal to cancel or suspend the person’s licence:
(d)
any other decision of the Tribunal imposing on the person a sanction of a kind referred to in section 51(1)(a) to (i):
(e)
a decision of the Tribunal to reject an appeal under section 55.
(2)
An appeal under this section must be made by giving notice of appeal within—
(a)
20 working days after the date on which notice of the decision was communicated to the person concerned; or
(b)
any further time that the District Court may allow on application made before or after the expiration of that
You should note the 20 working days to file an appeal. You may qualify for legal aid if you only earn the pension.