New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I have 3 DIC convictions from 1987- 1990’s. Auckland, nz, I…

Customer Question
I have 3 DIC...

I have 3 DIC convictions from 1987- 1990’s.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Auckland, nz, I was fined and disqualified , no jail, no hospital, I now have a sport code coaching at a national level, after many years of working and specialising in this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Well i went to court, and fined and disqualified for 6 months, for the first 2,fined and disqualified for 18months on the 3rd, fines were pd, no community service, no crash, or injury cause to any other party.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If i have something, sadly i will not pusue the opportunity, as great as it is, i have a tremenous ammount of respect in my current standing, and would like to protect my livleyhood. I am a very active member of AA, have 15 years sobriety, i am a mother, a wife and a business woman.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
9/29/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today

There is legislation called the Criminal Records Clean Slate Act, which enables you to conceal convictions which are over seven years old. In most circumstances you can correctly say that you have no criminal record, because the act specifically says that you are permitted to do so when the act applies. The best way to check whether the record is still shown as to get a copy of your criminal record.

https://www.justice.govt.nz/criminal-records/get-your-own/

If you click on that link, that will show you how to get a copy of your record. It should show a clean record. There is a distinction between a criminal record and a police check. Sometimes the police check will show these records. But that is something you have to obtain from the police. But if the criminal record shows a clean slate, then you are entitled to say this. So I suggest you get the record and assess what you need to do after that, if anything. You don't have to apply for the clean slate to be used – it is automatic after seven years

Well it was well over 7 years in 2013, when I offered and applied to provide
respite care for the young foster boy in my sons class. I was declined. And
They disclosed this to the boys foster parents which was humiliating and I felt a breach of privacy, regardless it appear to be there, well over 10 years later?

There is a difference between police vetting and the clean slate provisions. Unfortunately police vetting shows all of the convictions. But if you are applying for a position, the clean slate provisions do specifically say in the legislation that you can say you have a clean record. So for a fostering situation you have to do police vetting, but for a job application a criminal record, which should show a clean slate, is sufficient

As the coaching job is a national sport, and I would be responsible for the development and pathways of college through to national selection, I think this hurdle will come up making me sadly ineligible, guess.
Seems this will punish me more than most people.
This is why they protect established athletes from conviction so they may retain their career.
Justice isn't quite fair in my case. But Thankyou for you assistance I thought as much, 🙁

I agree the law is somewhat difficult in this area. But for a coaching job, I would have thought vetting would not be necessary but only a clean police record. Perhaps you should check this before you decide your next steps

A DIC is a police record.😕

And would be concealed for a criminal record check, but not for vetting.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer