New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am researching information for my partner of 6 months, he…

Hello, I am researching...

Hello, I am researching information for my partner of 6 months, he has split from his wife 8 months ago and has 2 children and a mortgage with her. He is about to go to a solicitors appointment tomorrow and would like to know where he stands in regards ***** ***** in another relationship after separating from his wife (but still married).

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No he hasn't. He is worried about the costs. I have advised him to do this but the appointment is tomorrow...!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you,

9/26/2017
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

Thank you

The new relationship doesnt affect his rights about a half share of the property and the contact and parenting issues. Divorce is a no fault system in New Zealand. Was this his concern?

Thank you - he is not divorced (yet), so I want to ensure that him being in a relationship it won't make a difference to the divorce process? It is in relation to the property split and the house yes,
the kids!

There isnt any penalty for entering a new relationship and its actually fairly common. The issues will be division of the property and arrangements for contact and parenting. It doesnt matter if you are there. Its what is in the best interests of the children, and the new relationship doesnt affect that.

Thank you very much for that. Do I have to pay again to ask a separate question please in relation to the children? His two children were born in the UK and have dual passports (UK & NZ). Is she able to take them away from him (move/extended holidays) overseas (or to the UK) without his permission? (they are 10 & 11 years old). This is the last question - thank you

She cannot take the children from New Zealand without his consent. If she does this, he would be able to force her to return the children under the Hague Convention, and she would lose custody

Chris The Lawyer
Excellent - thank you so much, I really appreciate your assistance. Have a lovely evening.