New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I commited cheque book fraud in 1993 and had to pay it all…

I commited cheque book...

I commited cheque book fraud in 1993 and had to pay it all back with no jail. In 1996 I got 18 months jail for possession of a firearm and threatening and did 10 months. Can I get a clean slate on these charges and how do I apply for this as it is still on my record?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Christchurch. New Zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No as I really can't afford a lawyer as I am on the superannuation.

9/24/2017
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today

When the Clean Slate scheme applies

You’re said to have no criminal record (criminal conviction history) if all of the following are true. If you have:

• had no convictions within the last 7 years
  • never been sentenced to a custodial sentence (such as prison, corrective training or borstal)
  • never been convicted of a sexual offence (‘specified offence’)
  • fully paid any fine, compensation, reparation or costs ordered by the court in a criminal case
  • never been banned from driving until further notice (indefinite disqualification)
  • never been held in hospital by the court in a criminal case instead of being sentenced, due to your mental condition.

So because the last conviction had a jail sentence you do not qualify.

Chris The Lawyer