New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Just a quick inquiry about a situation at work, I have been…

Customer Question
Just a quick inquiry...

Just a quick inquiry about a situation at work, I have been on light duties, HR has copies of my medical certificates, however I have been working my regular duties, this has exacerbated my injury. If I was to file ACC on the injury and they were to terminate me would I have any legal recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Auckland New Zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Permanent part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of, just looking at the worst scenerio

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
9/22/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today

Your employer could be in a difficult situation, because if they have made you work your regular duties, then there is a health and safety issue. You but if you do apply for ACC, they cannot dismiss you for this reason. If the problem arose from your work you are entitled to make a claim, and to take time off work to recover. They cannot dismiss you because of this, but if they do so, you could claim a personal grievance for unfair dismissal