New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My company was in arrears with the IRD (GST) and my account…

Customer Question
My company was in...

My company was in arrears with the IRD (GST) and my account and lawyer told me they had everything under control.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I had paid the lawyer for supposedly meetings withe IRD but they had only communicated withe IRD lawyer and had never sat down with the IRD over our proposed payment resolution

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The IRD liquidated my company as the commissioner advised they had had know discussions with regard to my company over the revolution of payment and moving forward.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been advised I have to take this to the High Court. Your thoughts

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
9/12/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today

If the company has been liquidated, it is possible to reverse that position but you would need to settle the tax which is owed. There is no requirement for Inland Revenue to accept payment propositions, and if there is an amount owing, they don't have to accept instalments. So if the company has received a statutory demand for the outstanding tax, and this has passed the required 15 working days without payment, then Inland Revenue is entitled to apply to the High Court to liquidate the company. Even at this stage they don't have to accept instalments. I expect you are probably dealing now with a liquidator, but unless you are able to pay the tax in full, there is probably no prospect of unwinding the liquidation