New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

We have an issue an old garage that is currently on our

Customer Question
We have an issue...

We have an issue an old garage that is currently on our boundary and we wish to demolish as we are undertaking a renovation. The owner is no longer alive and he owes money to Council and the property is in disarray. Council has responded below:n regards ***** ***** neighbouring garage being located over the boundary and into your property, and your wish to demolish the garage, this is a civil matter. Despite being located in a special character overlay area, the demolition of the garage at*****would be a permitted activity under the Auckland Unitary Plan – Operative in Part and as such, no resource consent from Council would be required. However, as noted above, as it involves another person’s property, this is a civil matter and I recommend that you obtain independent legal advice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing has been filed my ourselves as were waiting for an answer from Council. They are probably not willing to divulge any information re the neighbours circumstances and we wish to have this issue resolved so we can knock down the garage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, nothing I can think of but he might have some questions. Thanks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
I am in New Zealand and thought I was dealing with someone from there.
9/12/2017
Solicitor: serish khan, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
serish khan
serish khan, Lawyer

Hi there, i see your query is for Chris, i am also a lawyer from New Zealand (Auckland) and happy to help unless you would like to specifically speak to him in which case i can opt out of the question?

Hi there, happy for you to help.
If you can email me with an answer as I am about to leave work and won't be available on my mobile.

i can only respond to you through the system unfortunately.

With regards ***** ***** question are you wanting to know how to proceed in terms of getting consent from the neighbor for demolition?

As advised by Council it is classed as a civil action but as far as we know the owner has died as the house is now in disrepair so no consent is going to be provided by the neighbour.

I believe you can still get consent as the owner of hte house would have an estate where an executor would be able to make decisions. The house will no doubt be left to a beneficiary who would be able to provide you with consent so it would seem worth a try to first try down that avenue to get consent.

But how would I go about finding out about his estate when I have no information on relatives etc?

Ah, that would be difficult. Has anyone come on premises to remove his things? if you don't know who the executors etc are it is difficult to get hold of anyone who has any power to make a decision.

Did you want advice regarding your civil action? if so i will opt out and let another professional provide you with answers in that area.

serish khan
serish khan
serish khan, Lawyer