New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am interested to know the penalty for defying a court

Customer Question
I am interested to...

I am interested to know the penalty for defying a court order

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

A order was given with 7 points that could be discussed in a public meeting - a key person went well beyond that and went into great detail in relation to a matter going to arbitration that had nothing to do with the 7 points that could be discussed

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Mediation was carried out - no settlement and now going to arbitration but a public meeting was called at a marae and it was pointed out here was an order which was read out and as the meeting went on feeling were raw with the person saying many things which were gagged at the time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really as our lawyer is giving consideration to it over two days

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
9/11/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

It is difficult to stop someone talking and by going beyond the points which have been raised, the person who discussed this would not have necessarily breached the court order. If this was a public meeting there is a tension between rights of free speech and the restrictions of the court order. I think it would be unlikely that the court would be able to say this person breached the order by speaking at a public meeting beyond what the court said, because the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act would permit free speech. Perhaps the person chairing the meeting should have restrained the speaker