How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23061
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just want to get an acknowledgement of debt form. I am

Customer Question

I just want to get an acknowledgement of debt form. I am going to loan a family member some money. It is an unsecured loan but we just want an acknowledgement between us
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We want the agreement made in NZ because thats where we are doing the loan from
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No and we don't want to. We simply want an agreement between us
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

The key to any document like this is to keep it simple. There are no special words or clauses needed. So you can say something like this, "we (names) acknowledge we have borrowed $x from (other party) on (date), and that this will be repaid on (date). Add a clause about interest, and finish by each party signing.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

You can add any other terms you may need.