How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23060
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

May I have a question please? I'm on New Zealand term

Customer Question

Hi, May I have a question please ? I'm on New Zealand long term working visa (30 months) as Software Developer and I'm planning to apply for Working to Resident Visa. However, I'm unfortunately catching HIV while working here and currently on medication. My viral load is now undetectable and able to confirmed from my GP that now I'm totally healthy and HIV is the only my health issue. Could you please let me know, If I have chance to successfully approved for my work to resident visa ?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No I don't. I'm still on long term working visa and having 1.5 years left to be able to apply for work to resident.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm alone here without partners with resident/citizen status. I've read the requirement for upgrading from work visa to work to resident and personally feel I'm qualify to all the checklist except my health condition. So I would like to know, if I'm still able to apply and could be success in this case ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.


I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

You can ask for a health waiver with medical support, and if you can demonstrate that your HIV status is now under control and unlikely to cause any problems in the future, then you have a reasonable chance of success. The key is the strength of the medical evidence and demonstrating that there are no long term health problems