Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My son has a debt of over $100k with child support. They

Customer Question

My son has a debt of over $100k with child support. They take a % out of his wages every week. by the time he pays baycorp, rent, power and some gas to get to work he has nothing left for food or anything else. I help with food and gas every week but this cant continue.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Are you in New Zealand?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. Is that where we should start?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Should he declare or can he declare Bankrupt? He has been trying to contact IRD but is having trouble.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

Unfortunately bankruptcy does not write off a child support debt, although it would get rid of all other debts except court fines. If he cannot pay what has been ordered by Inland Revenue, then he can ask for a review with Inland Revenue as they have a process for looking at the payments. The problem would appear to be the arrears which carry interest and penalties