Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Son working in Perth who wants his 3 girls to spend time

Customer Question

Hi Hi
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi, son working in Perth who wants his 3 girls to spend time with him. They are living in NZ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Ideally shared custody, but not looking good from ex's side who says they are with her only.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not from Josh. could be in progress from Taryn (mother)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today

If the children are in New Zealand, then it is the New Zealand family court which will need to make any parenting orders. I assume that is why you have asked from a New Zealand site of course. These things can be negotiated, although for practical reasons it would be a little difficult to share parenting because of the fact they are two different countries. This should not stop your son from having regular contact, and perhaps at a later stage the children could decide to live with him and have contact with the mother. The first steps are to negotiate an agreement, and if this is not possible, then the next step is a family mediation and the final step if the mediation does not work is to go to the family court. Most cases do settle however