New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

What is my rights with child if i am getting separated from…

Customer Question
What is my rights...

What is my rights with child if i am getting separated from my husband?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Auckland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
9/10/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

Parents normally start by trying to negotaite a parenting plan where you decide where the child will live and what contact time they will have with the other parent. This can mean equal time with each parent or whatever arrangment you need having regard to their age and schooling needs. If you cannot negotiate directly you can use a family mediator, who will help both of you negotiate the terms of a parenting agreement. If this doesnt work you can go to the Family Court and in the end a judge will tell you what should happen.

So its a good idea to have some idea of what you want and start the process of negotiating parenting and contact times.