Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

What is my rights with child if i am getting separated from

Customer Question

what is my rights with child if i am getting separated from my husband?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: auckland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

Parents normally start by trying to negotaite a parenting plan where you decide where the child will live and what contact time they will have with the other parent. This can mean equal time with each parent or whatever arrangment you need having regard to their age and schooling needs. If you cannot negotiate directly you can use a family mediator, who will help both of you negotiate the terms of a parenting agreement. If this doesnt work you can go to the Family Court and in the end a judge will tell you what should happen.

So its a good idea to have some idea of what you want and start the process of negotiating parenting and contact times.