How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23067
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a house I have been in a relationship for almost 2

Customer Question

I own a house I have been in a relationship for almost 2 years can my partner take half she hasn't contributed anything financialy
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: New Zealand
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No but the house is in a trust
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was wondering if I need a prenup I have owned the house 4 years before I meet my partner and I have 600000 dollars of equity in the house and my partner has 40000 dollars of debt and has nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't up dated my trust since the trust was set up in 2011
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My partner has also been living rent free in a rental for the last year
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With me
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.
It is difficult but not impossible for a de fact partner to claim against a trust so after 3 years she could make a claim. Now would be a good time to get a contracting out agreement as you are not yet at the three year stage. You will need to get legal advice and lawyers to certify the agreement to make it valid.