Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have helping a solo mum financially but she has not repaid

Customer Question

I have helping a solo mum financially but she has not repaid me and has been blackmailing and threatening me if I don't keep giving me more.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: she says her father is wealthy and will repay me but I have yet to see anything after 8 months, what can I do?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The father knows the situation, is he involved?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today

If you are lending money to her, it would be prudent to try and get an agreement in writing, which sets out how much you have lent, any interest which you are charging (if any), and any date for repayment. It would be important to get an agreement about this as a loan because it would be very easy for her to say that this was a gift. Perhaps the way to approach this is to say that as a friend, you don't want to fall out with her, but it would be good to have any agreement recorded in writing. Once you have an agreement, and if she defaults, or refuses to pay, then you can sue her for the money. If she refuses to sign any agreement, then it would be useful to put in writing what she has borrowed, and what she has previously promised, and write her an email or letter which sets this out and ask if she agrees that this was the situation. Again this creates a trail of evidence in case you have to sue

May I help further with your questions? If you have finished and are satisfied with the answer, then you may rate the answer you are ready.