New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

Second opinion] I've been stalking someone (Tamar) online in…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi, I've been...
Second opinion] Hi, I've been stalking someone (Tamar) online in Canada. I got a message from canadian authorities to stop it (2 years ago). While I have stopped contacting Tamar, I still followed her and her friends on instagram using 2 fake accounts. One account has no real name or photo to it. The second account I used Tamar's sister name and photo.The person is now seeking full legal action against me. I'd like to discuss what the charges are likely to be. How shall I react when approached by the police?I've only ever followed Tamar and her friends. I haven't contacted them. I haven't posted anything or written anything about her.What am I likely to face if police prosecutes me? How likely I'll get prosecuted? What's the way out?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 2 days by:
8/6/2017
Solicitor: serish khan, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
serish khan
serish khan, Lawyer

Hi there, i would be happy to help with your query. Because you would be prosecuted by Canadian authorities i do not specifically know what laws and penalties would apply. You could be charged with identity theft for the sister however because you are not really harassing the victim (from what you say) i am unsure as to what they would charge you with in regards ***** ***** following her online. If you wish to discuss this further on the phone i am happy to help, just send in a request. What charges and the likelihood of prosecution would really depend on what type of legal action the victim is taking.

Thanks for getting back to me. How can Canadian authorities prosecute me while I live in nz? what are the charges for identity theft?

It will depend on their laws. This is a bit more complicated because a different jurisdiction applies. I believe they can liaise with the NZ police to lay charges. Have they served you with any documents yet?

I haven't been approached by nz police yet. What should be my first course of action when contacted by local police?

Your best option would be to not make any statement, and use your right to speak with your lawyer. Once you know what you are being charged with a lawyer will be able to assist you better. Please accept the answer if this satisfies your query.

Hi there, please accept the answer so your query can be closed from the system. Thanks

serish khan
serish khan
serish khan, Lawyer