New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

EPOA if someone is assessed for early altzheimers and is

Customer Question
deemed fit to make their...
EPOA if someone is assessed for early altzheimers and is deemed fit to make their own decissions yet a previous EPOA was in place but as far as the Dr doing the recent assecment is concerned it was never activated does this mean exactly that it was not active??
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: New Zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Husband passed away children are stating that there is an EPOA over my sister we have had her reassessed and Dr Mattews states she is more than capable of making decissions and he rang the daughter and advised her there was no point in activating the EPOA as Carol was capable
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont think so just trying to understand EPOA and activation or not
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

It depends on the assesment by the doctor-he is the person who must make the call on capacity. If he thinks she is still capable then the EPOA would not be activated. But when she is unable to understand then the doctor must formally certify this with a certificate. Until that happens the EPOA is not operative

May I help further with your questions? If you have finished and are satisfied with the answer, then you may rate the answer you are ready.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer