How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 44877
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a kiwi living in Australia, my question is about my

Customer Question

Hi, I am a kiwi living in Australia, my question is about my husband adopting my 14 year old daughter. We have been married for 11 years and my daughter has lived with us the whole time. Her biological father has no contact and pays no child support that I know of. She was born in 2003 and her father and I never lived together he did however sign her birth certificate. Would it be difficult for she stepfather to adopt her or would it be better/ easier for him to be a guardian? He is Canadian.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We are in Queensland presently but about to move to the Northern Marianas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning

He can adopt but he needs to have the childs biological fathers consent.

If the biological father does not consent then there will have to be a hearing in the Supreme Court.

Here is a link from the QLD government about the process

But the father of the child has to give their consent.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.


Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Good Evening

I am following up my last post. Is there anything further I can assist you with?