Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I'm a resident here in Newzealand and I've been in here for

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I'm a resident here in Newzealand and I've been in here for a year and five months
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My mum was visiting me last month as a visitor and she collapsed and went to the hospital in a critical condition and stayed at the north shore hospital for three weeks. She didn't have a travel insurance and we received a bill of $100,000 and I'm her sponsor
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She doesn't have enough money to pay for this bill, and I can't pay for this amount of money. How can I deal with this problem?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I negotiate wth the hospital?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I want to settle this situation properly
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

You can negotiate with the hospital, but they dont have to agree to accept less than what they are owed. They may choose to come to a settlement if you explain you dont have any money, and set out what you own and what your income is. Unfortunately this is hospital policy and others have been caught like this also. Hopefully they will accept something sensible if they see you dont have the assets and income to pay

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I have a joint account with my husband, will they have the right to check my bank account and ask me to pay from my husband money? We don't have any assets here in Newzealand except our cars which is around $ 10,000

They cannot make your husband pay your debt. If all you have is a car of modest value, then you should tell the hospital that they can ask for payment but you just dont have the money and if pressed you would become bankrupt.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, I have my own savings in the bank here in Newzealand which is around half of the money we owe the hospital. So is it possible for the hospital to investigate and ask me to pay from this money?

They could do this, and if they push to look at your assets you would need to disclose this. There is a process whereby they would need to get a court judgment for the money and then the court can examine you as to your assets

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it best; to negotiate with the hospital directly or an attorney to negotiate on my behalf?

You can start by talking directly with them, but if they try to bully you or even sue you in court then you would need to get some support from a lawyer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to finish this session now?

You can or rate the answers when you are ready or wait for more questions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great! I think I will wait for more questions.

No problem