How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22816
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a resident here in Newzealand and I've been in here for

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I'm a resident here in Newzealand and I've been in here for a year and five months
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My mum was visiting me last month as a visitor and she collapsed and went to the hospital in a critical condition and stayed at the north shore hospital for three weeks. She didn't have a travel insurance and we received a bill of $100,000 and I'm her sponsor
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She doesn't have enough money to pay for this bill, and I can't pay for this amount of money. How can I deal with this problem?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I negotiate wth the hospital?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I want to settle this situation properly
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.


I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

You can negotiate with the hospital, but they dont have to agree to accept less than what they are owed. They may choose to come to a settlement if you explain you dont have any money, and set out what you own and what your income is. Unfortunately this is hospital policy and others have been caught like this also. Hopefully they will accept something sensible if they see you dont have the assets and income to pay

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I have a joint account with my husband, will they have the right to check my bank account and ask me to pay from my husband money? We don't have any assets here in Newzealand except our cars which is around $ 10,000
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

They cannot make your husband pay your debt. If all you have is a car of modest value, then you should tell the hospital that they can ask for payment but you just dont have the money and if pressed you would become bankrupt.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, I have my own savings in the bank here in Newzealand which is around half of the money we owe the hospital. So is it possible for the hospital to investigate and ask me to pay from this money?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

They could do this, and if they push to look at your assets you would need to disclose this. There is a process whereby they would need to get a court judgment for the money and then the court can examine you as to your assets

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it best; to negotiate with the hospital directly or an attorney to negotiate on my behalf?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

You can start by talking directly with them, but if they try to bully you or even sue you in court then you would need to get some support from a lawyer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to finish this session now?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

You can or rate the answers when you are ready or wait for more questions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great! I think I will wait for more questions.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

No problem

Related New Zealand Law Questions