Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a management contract for a lifestyle village. the

Customer Question

I have a management contract for a lifestyle village. the village management committee have just handed me a list of jobs they require me to attend to on an annual basis. A number of these tasks are additional to the contract others are stipulating time frames etc that were previously as required. How serious is this how should I respond.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hi Chris. I may be out of your field. Rotorua New Zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Contract has 5 years to run approximatly.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. Although the site is based in the United States, this part is for New Zealand law questions, and I am very familiar with New Zealand law.

There are some legal and some practical issues. If you have a contract which has five years to run, and which has a defined scope of work, then any changes to the contract must be negotiated rather than just added to the contract. This means that if they want any changes, you must be asked and accept the changes to vary the contract. That is the standard position with any contract. If there is a process for varying the contract, there must still be an offer from them, and which you may or may not accept.

So on a practical level it depends on how hard you want to push back on the changes as there will be an effect on your relationship with the committee. While they may not be able to impose the changes, you will want to preserve the relationship and perhaps come in with a suggestion that the contract doesnt permit the chnages but you are willing to renegotiate the terms if these are essential.