New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am an aunt of a child in CYFS care. We are trying to work…

Customer Question
Hi, I am an...

Hi, I am an aunt of a child in CYFS care. We are trying to work with CYFS to care for my niece. Her father and mother are not fit parents due to drug and alcohol issues. CYFS applied for custody of my niece and it was granted last month. We were making arrangements for her to come up north to us as she is currently in ashburton. The father, my brother applied to court to restrict her from moving out of the district and the family court agreed until the fgc on 20 April. I've read a little about applying to the court for permission to apply?? what does that mean and do I need to do this first before I address the court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: New Zealand Law
4/1/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Chris The Lawyer
This is called leave to apply for parenting orders. Essentially if you are not the biological parents of the child then you need permission of the court to ask for parenting orders. So this means that you have to explain your relationship and the support of CYFS in your application. If they are supportive you should get permission to apply without difficulty and then the parenting issues can be resolved