New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I want to renew my New Zealand passport which expired in…

Customer Question
I want to renew...

I want to renew my New Zealand passport which expired in January 2016. After over 30 years in USA I mostly only keep in contact with my family living there. How can I find a non relative referee?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Seattle, Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

I need to have a referee but all my contacts are relatives

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: New Zealand Law
3/21/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Chris The Lawyer

As you likely know the identity referee must be (from Internal Affairs website)

Who can be an identity referee?

They must:

• be 16 years or older

• have known you for more than one year or since you were born (if a child)

• have a valid New Zealand passport (this can be current or expired, but not stolen or lost)

• be prepared to give personal details like their name, date of birth, passport number and contact phone number.

They must not be:

• related to you eg a cousin, aunt, uncle, sister, brother, father or mother

• your partner or spouse

• part of your extended family group
  • living with you.

So you will need to either find an old friend in New Zealand or see if Internal Affairs and see if they would accept someone like the NZ Consul in Los Angeles in lieu. The rules are a bit rigid but dont appear to provide for this problem