New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

How do we get a copy of a will - Lindsay Rex Stanton - died

Customer Question
2003...
How do we get a copy of a will - Lindsay Rex Stanton - died 2003
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/27/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Chris The Lawyer

You can get copies of wills where probate was granted from the High Court Registry. If you know where he dies, you should ask at the High Court Registry closest to where he died. and they can provide a copy, as this is a public record. The Ministry of Justice says on their website-

Steps to locating a will that has been filed in the High Court

1. Identify the High Court where the application for probate was filed. Up until 31 May 2013 this was the High Court closest to where the deceased person lived at the time of their death. From 4 June 2013 all applications for probate have been filed at the Wellington High Court.
    Find High Court locations
  2. Once the High Court has been identified, make a written request to search probate records to the Registrar of the High Court where the will is held. Include the following information:
    1. the full name of the deceased person
    2. the date of the deceased person’s death and/or the date probate was granted
    3. the town or area the deceased person was living in at the time of their death.
  3. A request will be actioned by the High Court when it is received. There may be delays if the information provided is incomplete, or it is a complex request.

Search fee

The fee to search probate (court) records and to look at the file is $30. This fee includes getting a copy of the will or any document on the file.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer