Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I've recently been charged on a drug offences and have had

I've recently been charged on a drug offences and have had assets seized aledgedly due to proceeds of crime . If I plea guilty to the charge and with the forfeiture of my assets will my sentence be reduced

Hi I am just reading this now

That is definitely a factor in sentencing. Sentencing is often an exercise of listing all of the aggravating factors, which gives a certain tariff of some years depending on the nature of the drug offence, with of course the heavier sentences aimed at commercial trafficking. If you lose a substantial amount of assets then the court takes into account this together with the other factor of pleading guilty, which then reduces the sentence down to the final result. So if you lose a lot of property, then this is definitely taken into account. I can't give you precise percentages without more detail, but the sentencing decisions are clear that you will get a reduction.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know a guilty plea will reduce sentence but it's the seized assets which I'm unsure of will they reduce my sentence . So losing 4 bikes six cars and a property will help reduce my sentence

Yes, definately

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks for the help

If you have a lawyer acting for you on the sentencing, make sure the lawyer is aware of what has been confiscated and the actual value, together with the effect on any other people. For example if you have a partner who will become homeless that will also affect the sentence