Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am being ripped off by a lwyer in Auckland. I would like

Customer Question

I am being ripped off by a lwyer in Auckland. I would like to transfer to a lawyer in Christchurch regardinging a Seaparation Agreement worth 695,000.00.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Could you help please?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes it is in process
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She is either never available, on my ex husbands side or just writing letters that amount to nothing and charging me $300 per hour.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

You are free to change lawyers any time you want. I suggest that you should first start by discussing your concerns with the lawyer, if you have not done so already. Try to see if things can improve, but if not, then instruct the lawyer in Christchurch and they will uplift the file and start work for you. You can query the costs of your present lawyer and ask the Law Society to revise the accounts and see if they are appropriate. I always recommend mediation to try to resolve the relationship property dispute if you cannot agree, but sometimes you do need to file a case in court, which you may have done. But you can mediate at any time