How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22816
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I just moved back to NZ from USA. we are

Customer Question

Hi Pearl..... my wife and I just moved back to NZ from USA. we are permanent residents here in NZ, and are retired, planning on staying for good. We have "durable powers of attorney" drawn up in the US. Are those valid here in NZ? Thanks, Terry
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Utah
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not for the moment. Thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
They may not be. For New Zealand you need enduring powers of attorney under the Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act 1988. These will look similar but are the only forms recognised by the law here. You should see a lawyer to prepare these as they need to be witnessed by a lawyer

Related New Zealand Law Questions