Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I was pressured in to marrying my husband nearly 2 and a

Customer Question

Hi there, I was pressured in to marrying my husband nearly 2 and a halve years ago which was the biggest mistake we both made in our lives .Since then we have both committed adultery mine was 7 months ago to a man that I really love and want to remarry to as soon as possible. I've been separated from my husband for 5 months and now in live in Australia with the man that I wish to be with for the rest of my life.Please tell me what is the quickest way that I can get a divorce so that I can remarry as soon as possible?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Melbourne Australia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: but was married in new Zealand
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not yet
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
Hi
As you are in Australia you can now apply for a divorce there even though you were married in New Zealand. The grounds are separation for more than a year, so once this is up, in 5 months, you can apply
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi my question I believe has not been answered correctly and clearly and it took 6 hours to get a reply.Please read question again and when I commented "Not yet" that was to the question "has anything been filed or reported".And when I commented but was married in New Zealand, that was a continuation of the answer "Melbourne Australia".

I don't understand what you mean. You can apply for a divorce in Australia, you don't need to apply in New Zealand. i apologise for the late answer as I have been travelling, and try to answer, but was not online.

Please tell me what further information you need

Once you have moved to Australia then you can use their family court system. There are no grounds for divorce except separation for a year. Adultery is not grounds for a divorce and was abolished many years ago as a ground for divorce

The courts in Australia recognise the marriage in New Zealand and will have the power to make the orders