How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22826
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was pressured in to marrying my husband nearly 2 and a

Customer Question

Hi there, I was pressured in to marrying my husband nearly 2 and a halve years ago which was the biggest mistake we both made in our lives .Since then we have both committed adultery mine was 7 months ago to a man that I really love and want to remarry to as soon as possible. I've been separated from my husband for 5 months and now in live in Australia with the man that I wish to be with for the rest of my life.Please tell me what is the quickest way that I can get a divorce so that I can remarry as soon as possible?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Melbourne Australia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: but was married in new Zealand
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not yet
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
As you are in Australia you can now apply for a divorce there even though you were married in New Zealand. The grounds are separation for more than a year, so once this is up, in 5 months, you can apply
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi my question I believe has not been answered correctly and clearly and it took 6 hours to get a reply.Please read question again and when I commented "Not yet" that was to the question "has anything been filed or reported".And when I commented but was married in New Zealand, that was a continuation of the answer "Melbourne Australia".
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

I don't understand what you mean. You can apply for a divorce in Australia, you don't need to apply in New Zealand. i apologise for the late answer as I have been travelling, and try to answer, but was not online.

Please tell me what further information you need

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

Once you have moved to Australia then you can use their family court system. There are no grounds for divorce except separation for a year. Adultery is not grounds for a divorce and was abolished many years ago as a ground for divorce

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

The courts in Australia recognise the marriage in New Zealand and will have the power to make the orders

Related New Zealand Law Questions