How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22831
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is receiving legal aid, the legal services

Customer Question

My son is receiving legal aid, the legal services commissioner have sent a letter asking for authorisation to place a security charge over his property ... I thought legal aid was free?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
Sadly it is not. In recent years the government has insisted on recovery of legal aid, which has always been possible, but only collected more recently
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If we dont authorise can a caveat be placed on his property as security?It sounds like the debt to repay is quite substantial for just a charge of wilful damage?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
They can place a legal aid charge on the property which would need to be paid when the property is sold. So Legal Services can do this without consent

Related New Zealand Law Questions