New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

Im on a fixed term contract and my contract is going to be

Customer Question
terminated because I told my...
Im on a fixed term contract and my contract is going to be terminated because I told my employer that I will require to have six weeks off to recover from surgery. Is it legal for the employer to do that?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The agreement was signed through recruitment agency. Nothing been reported
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/1/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Chris The Lawyer

The employer cannot terminate the contract until the fixed term is up, although they dont have to pay you for the time off if you dont have sick leave. If they dismiss you you can claim an unfair dismissal. If they consider that they cannot keep you on, they would need to go though a consultation process and discuss the options. They cannot just end the contract however unless they follow proper procedure

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer