How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14694
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife and I have a son, he is 13 years old, she has not

Customer Question

My ex wife and I have a son, he is 13 years old, she has not been on the DPB, we have had a verbal agreement for me to pay what is necessary for his upkeep. We had a big disagreement and she threatened to go to the IRD and claim child support for the 13 years she has not received any...can she do this?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

She can claim child support through Inland Revenue but cannot get this back dated. The Child Support Act says you can claim through Inland Revenue but you only get support from the time of application

Related New Zealand Law Questions