How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22827
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who holds Australian PR and lives in Australia. My father

Customer Question

Hi, I am Japanese who holds Australian PR and lives in Australia. My father would like to apply the Parent Retiment Visa in NZ, so I am planning to move to New Zealand permanently around May 2017.
The earliest I can move to NZ is May 2017, so the earliest my father can apply his visa would be August I guess.
Q. Annual income of at least $60000 when applying the visa.
My father has his own business and living in Japan. He wants to use his past Tax Certificates (which is shown the earning from January to December) to prove his annual incomes. The most recent Tax Certificate will be the 2016 and it will be available in April 2017.
My question is that when will be the deadline for using 2016 Tax Certificate? I mean can he still use it if he applied in November or December in 2017? The next Tax Certificate (earnings from Jan to Dec 2017) won't be available until April 2018, so he cannot use it and I don't think he will be working by then.
Please let me know if you can help me.
Best Regards,
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

In this situation I believe the Immigration department will accept the most recent certificate. I don't know if it is possible for you, but if he has a balance sheet for his own business which shows the income, that would likely also help as well. So if he applies in about the same time as you or a few months after, that certificate should be reasonably current.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. So you mean there is no exact deadline (earlier is better of course)and he does not need to provide ongoing income documents after submitting application? Do you think he can try submitting just after arrive NZ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I mean it is possible to submit his application soon after I arrive in NZ? Let's say arrive in May and submitting application in June.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

The rules are not so precise, but it just has to be credible evidence of his income which is as recent as possible. It is certainly possible to come as a visitor, and then make the parent application. Sometimes that is easier. As I typing this I see your follow-up, and it certainly would make sense to have you apply for him soon after you arrive, because these do take a bit of time to process.

Related New Zealand Law Questions