How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22809
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We put our boat into a sell on behalf agreement with mr

Customer Question

We put our boat into a sell on behalf agreement with mr boats for $28,000.00 for 60 days it wasn't selling so hubby decided to drop the price to $25,000 but nothing was signed, an offer was made at $24,000 which we declined and then my husband and I decided we were no longer selling, he told the dealer this and to take it off the lot. We then refinanced it, then the following day the dealer rang us with an offer of $25,000.00 we responded by saying no it's no longer for sale. The dealer failed to tell the person offering this and he is refusing to let it go. Currently we are being told that we have to sell but we don't believe we do. Please help we really want to keep itThanks *****
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

I am reading this now

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

The agreement with the dealer is a contract to sell the boat, and if you decide to cancel the contract, the dealer cannot now sell the boat. If you can show by an email or phone call that you cancelled the contract with the dealer to say it's not for sale and to take the boat off the lot, then he cannot sell the boat under your feet. You should tell them that there is a new security on the boat in any event, and that if he tries to sell the boat the finance company will take it off any purchaser. So you can insist on uplifting the boat, and the dealer will just have to explain things to this purchaser

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thankyou if we are unable to prove the phone call (although the dealer is not denying we said it) are they still able to sell? Even for a price that no contract was signed for? can they prevent us from uplifting our boat from there lot?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We did tell the dealer it had been financed but they don't seem to care really
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

They could try to sell, but with the finance on the boat, they would need to pay off the finance before they sell. Perhaps the next step is to tell them that if they continue to try to sell, you will get a court injunction to require him to release the boat and claim damages for this

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have no cell coverage where we live are you able to call and speak with my husband he is stressing out big time! 03(###) ###-####
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.


Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

Let me know when you are ready and have accepted

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

It would help if you confirm if the dealer is a licenced motor vehicle dealer

Related New Zealand Law Questions