How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22824
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was given a traffic offence for overtaking another

Customer Question

I was given a traffic offence for overtaking another vehicle- insufficient clear road.
This occurred when another driver rang 555*
When approached afterwards by a police officer I was told that I had overtaken on double yellow lines which was incorrect as there was only a single yellow line on that part of the highway with a broken yellow line at the start of the yellow line .
I had made the passing manoeuvre and returned to the left hand side of the road on the broken yellow line will before any other vehicle was within approximately 300metres.
In the infringement notice nothing was mentioned of any yellow lines or the fact that there were double passing lanes on the right hand side.
I have been fined $150 and 35 demerits point on false information from another driver?
After writing to the police they say they have considered my comments and the offence report information and determined that the offence will not be waived.
Am I entitled to a copy of the offence report as I believe I'm being fined on incorrect information.
Look forward to your response .
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

You are entitled to see the complaint made about you which started the process. You can also defend this and need to write to the police and tell them you want to contest this. If you do this you are entitled to all the infomation they have about the matter which will enable you to either prepare for a defnded hearing or decide to just pay the fine

Related New Zealand Law Questions