Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have been caught drink driving and blew 460... I don't

Customer Question

Hi. I have been caught drink driving and blew 460... I don't want my license to be disqualified and be convicted criminal charges against me as i will loose my job and will not be able to support family and pay mortgage. Can you help me out here please?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

That is not too far over the limit but disqualification is compulsory. You can get a limited licence to drive for work, and I can suggest what to do if that is an option. Are you a NZ citizen or here on a visa?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Chris. I'm a new zealand residence and applied for citizen about 6 weeks ago.I have called in sick the day I was caught. If my employer knows this I will loose my job. Our code of conduct states zero tolerance for alcohol and drug free at work. How do I apply for limited license? Do I need to get a letter from the company? What is the minimum period of disqualification? Can the court only give me month license off as this is my first one...?Thanks
Sandeep
If you were not at work that should not mean you lose your job, but they may ask why you were drinking while on a sick day. The minimum period is six months with a one month stand down before you can apply. So there will be difficult issues. You may need a lawyer for sentence and limited licence
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That night I didn't call in sick. Actually when I got caught then I called I'm sick. I was too distorted and stressed out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm just too scared to tell my employer. Should I be telling this...? Is it necessary to tell my employer? Will they be able to find it out...

Your employer may well find out although the court doesnt tell them. It is a public court and sometimes this is published. I think in this situation you should instruct a lawyer however