How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14769
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is seeking a divorce from a US citizen and I am

Customer Question

Good day
My daughter is seeking a divorce from a US citizen and I am making preliminary enquiries on behalf because she is overseas, and because she has great difficulty dealing with administrative issues. I would very much appreciate some initial guidance please.
My daughter:
* Is a UK citizen who married a US citizen August 2013.
* Applied for residency and Green Card which was awarded November 2014.
* Lived and/or was travelling and aside from visits to and from the US, did not live with her husband during this period.
* Moved to the US to join her husband during February 2015.
* Bullied and isolated, left her husband + - May/June 2015. They lived together for no more than 5 months.
* Returned to the US for +- 1 month August 2016 to seek an amicable divorce. Husband did not respond to/ignored repeated attempts to contact him to discuss issue.
* Is financially compromised and unable to travel back to US for the foreseeable future.
My initial questions are as follows:
(1) Can she file for divorce from outside the US if not contested or contested?
(2) Would a "no contest" divorce compromise her ability to lay a civil claim against her husband, post-divorce? Her husband depleted most of her savings and she still has property in the US (vehicles, personal belongings, etc) and some material evidence of his liability.
(3) If her husband is "dodging"/cannot be located to serve summons, what would happen then? He has a criminal record, (the gravity of did not come to light prior to the marriage). There is evidence that he is "in a relationship" and "interested in women". Were these facts to come before the Court, would they constitute sufficient cause to grant a divorce? I do have his full name, email address and mobile phone number and an abridged version of his criminal history.
(4) Going the online route through your website, please advise approximate costs of (a) uncontested divorce, and (b) uncontested divorce if summons unable to be served.
Thank you & kind regards
Tessa Chalk ***@******.***
Auckland New Zealand
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

Is she living in New Zealand now? If so then she could apply here

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

If that is the case I can give guidance on how to do this.

Related New Zealand Law Questions