How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22811
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lent a friend some money (about 3,500nzd) in May on the

Customer Question

I lent a friend some money (about 3,500nzd) in May on the understanding he would pay it back within 3-4 weeks and despite him advising he has transfered the funds I have not received any money from him. We are no longer in contact apart from for the money and it is made a little trickier as I live in NZ and he lives in Western Australia.
What would my next step be to try and recover the funds?
Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.
Does he dispute the claim? If he doesn't you will need to file a claim in the District Court and get a judgment against him. This may be hard to enforce in Aistralia, but you can report this as a default to credit agencies here and in Australia. I suggest you tell him this is your next step and see what his reaction is. You can enforce a New Zealand judgment in Aistralia but it may start to get expensive as you may need a lawyer there

Related New Zealand Law Questions