How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22897
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working in NZ legally on essential skills work visa so

Customer Question

good afternoon,
I am Eva and i am working in NZ legally on essential skills work visa so I am supported by my employer each year. I have got a new job offer in the same department but much higher position. I am working as a housekeeping supervisor and seeking head housekeeper position also in different town. My visa expire 13.October 2016 i don't need any medical and police record check this year. The thing is my potential new employer he is still not sure if he will able to support me. He is just trying to find out if there is any chance how to manage to get me in. If i will decide to resign i need to let my current company know 4 weeks in advance. QT1 am I able to mean time sort out my new visa with the a new company or not? QT2: What if my visa still will not be approved after 13th of October, Am I allowed to stay in the country unemployed? and for how long? I don't wanna take such a big risk.
Thank u for ur answear.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

I am just reading this now

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

I would start to apply for a variation to your work visa on the basis you will take the new position. If your employer is not able to support you in the new job, then I suggest you renew in your old job, and then once you have your new Visa based on the old job, then look at a variation if the new employer intends supporting you. So if you want to be careful, you should apply for a renewal of the present job. You can't be unemployed, because it is a condition of your visa that you are working

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear *****,thank u for ur reply it's better to extend then and when my visa are approve i can apply for variation if i got it right?Kind Regards
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

Yes I agree, it's better to extend and perhaps apply for the variation afterwards

Related New Zealand Law Questions