How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22986
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a security monitoring company refuse to give me my

Customer Question

can a security monitoring company refuse to give me my installer code for my alarm system that i have paid fr and own without paying them a fee?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

When you bought the alarm system, that this come with some sort of contract with the security monitoring company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - it was installed and ADT monitored it. The monitoring agreement which was month to month has ended, they will now not provide any details without paying for them to come out at a very expensive cost which makes changing company unpractical. I believe if I buy a product like a car I should be able to choose who services it? Seems crazy to me. Thanks
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

That is an interesting issue. I am inclined to think that this may be an issue under the Commerce Act as a restrictive trade practice, because it prevents you from trading with the security monitoring company of your choice. These issues are investigated by the Commerce Commission, who are unfortunately not always able to deal with these matters quickly because of the volume of their work. The place to make a complaint is at this link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thanks for the advice
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps the next step is to suggest to the security monitoring company that you will take this matter to the Commerce Commission but that a sensible fee would be an easier response for them