How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22885
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been bankrupt, discharged 20/10/2013, need to borrow

Customer Question

Hi, I have been bankrupt, discharged 20/10/2013, need to borrow $40k to tidy affairs after ex wife run away with all the savings, she has also put a cavitt on my house, so hence I can not add to my mortgage account.
Any ideas?
Tim Gough
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.
There are third tier lenders and places like Harmony. You may need to deal with your ex wife's claim however so you can borrow from the bank. Is that feasible? What does she claim and does this take into account what she has taken?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Chris, I have tried harmony, but because my bankruptcy still shows they will not lend. My wife am I had a prenuptial agreement, her house was hers and sold it last year and put the money in her account, my house is mine. She claims she has a vested interest in my property. My bank kiwi will not lend because of the bankruptcy. The mortgage is with sovereign, they will not extend because of the cavitt !
Any more ideas?
Cheers Tim
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.
I think you will have no choice but to apply to remove the caveat and deal with her claim. Have you started that process?

Related New Zealand Law Questions