How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23067
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the cheapest way to sort a divorce

Customer Question

What is the cheapest way to sort a divorce
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

This can depend on what you want. If you want to get the marriage dissolved, then after two years of separation you can make an application to yourself to the family court to have the marriage dissolved. Most people do this without using the lawyer because the family court provides forms which make this relatively easy.

If in fact you mean that you want to negotiate property and issues in relation to children, then you have a number of options. Many people are able to resolve these just by negotiating with their partner and never use a lawyer. If you want to resolve property and unable to reach agreement by negotiation, you will need to get a lawyer to independently advise each party to make a binding agreement under the Property Relationship Act. If you have issues with children and cannot agree, then you can use the FDR mediation system which costs depending on your means, about $450 each for the mediation although this can be waived if you do not have any income or are on a benefit.

If there are issues about property which you cannot negotiate, you can try to have a mediation to resolve these, and a lawyer is not essential for this.

If you do want to go to the family court for any issue, there are an increasing number of parties who file their own proceedings at court without using a lawyer. Then you will just have filing fees depending on what you're doing