How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22888
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2001 we bought a one week share in an aussie timeshare

Customer Question

In 2001 we bought a one week share in an aussie timeshare through nz company.
[company no long exists] About 5 years ago decided to sell or give away share, but no success. Approached timeshare with no luck. Have since read constitution [not available or known of at purchase date] seems like you have to be dead or destitute to exit system, don't want our children caught up in this mess, at some later date.
Would it be possible at this late date to have the sale cancelled or some such.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 12 months ago.

The only way to get rid of the timeshare would be to sell it, and you appear to have tried this. In case you are not aware, there are some websites which say they act as agents to buy or sell timeshares, but it still isnt easy. If you just stop paying and they then try to sue you, you can say you were misled when you bought this as you were not aware of the difficulties in selling or stoping using the timeshare. The problem is that the Fair Trading Act has a two year limitation period although you could say that you have only recently read the constitution which was not brought to your attention when you bought this.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 12 months ago.

Please let me know if I can help further

Related New Zealand Law Questions