How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14940
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there anything I can do to stop my partners ex wife from

Customer Question

Is there anything I can do to stop my partners ex wife from contacting me. she is based in the US but still emails and phones. I have blocked her email which obviously goes to my junk box and I have blocked her phone number, unfortunately because it is an international number it soomehow still gets through the system. I do not answer her calls but it still un-nerves me, upsets me, whatever...... I just don't want them
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

As you probably know, it would be relatively straightforward to get an order under the Harassment Act under New Zealand law but as you also probably realise enforcement in the United States would be difficult. I am surprised your phone service provider cannot block an international call, which I thought was relatively easy to organise. But perhaps you could, if you know her phone provider, contact them and say that you are being harassed in New Zealand which is likely to be an abuse of their phone policy at their end.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The other alternative would be to contact police in her hometown and complain about the harassment. It can be difficult to persuade them to take action internationally.

A third alternative might be to get a US lawyer to write to her and threatened to sue in the United States. That may be affected because she is aware of the difficulties of dealing with these issues across borders, but if she gets a US lawyer threatening to sue her that may be more effective.