How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14858
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husbands ex wife is trying to claim on my assets and

Customer Question

My husbands ex wife is trying to claim on my assets and income, due to his illness of MS and he is unable to work. Therefore he only gets assessed on child support with min standard of income, although he doesn't work.Is there any cases by where the new partners income or assets become part of the calculations for new zealand child maintenance?Best regards
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The child support regime is aimed at the parents of children. Under the Child-Support Act and other legislation, it is not possible to claim against the partner or spouse of a parent, just because they happen to be married or a partner of a liable parent. I am not aware of any cases where someone has claimed successfully in a situation like yours. I hope it is not a lawyer trying this somewhat difficult claim. But if she is just correcting this herself, you can tell her that she has no legal basis to do so