How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14948
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much is it to get advice? ok.. my step son owed his

Customer Question

how much is it to get advice?
JA: It's only $5.
Customer: ok.. my step son owed his father and I money and we were pressing him to pay some off.He lived at our address and so my step son transferred his car a BMW which he had had for a few years into my husbands name at the end of June as part payment for the debt. he did not come home for a few days and yesterday we learnt that he had skipped the country and has left a trail of debt. He had continued to drive the car as we really didn't want it. We dont' know where the car is...when we tried to report the car as stolen the police refused saying the ownership papers meant nothing. and we could not prove ownership....they suggested we remove my husbands name from the papers so that it goes back to the previous owner (his son overseas by ownership papers. I asked who owned the car and they said his son would...however soon after that I was contacted by his sons business partner who said they had an interest in the car and that they too were owed money. They said that my stepson was supposed to put it in the business name but put it in his own name but I doubt they can prove ownership any more than we can...Anyway that aside neither of us could figure out how we can report the car stolen if neither of us can prove ownership. which ever way one looks at it the one person who drove the car,my now absent stepson did/does not own it.. If we cannot report it stolen anyone could have it and buy/sell it on as there is no red flag to stop them. so my question is .should we suspend the registration on hold? in the intrim while we sort out ownership as it would show up if someone tries to pay the rego or my stepson tries to sneak back in the country or is there a way we can jointly report it stolen because it is either way and for whoever actually owns it in the end. is there any way a person can report another persons car stolen?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: new zealand 10 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: with the debts that are staring to surface I imagine that fraud charges could well be laid against my step son and or he will be declared bankrupt. He just vanished and told no one in the family,( remember he lived with us) we have not heard from him and he is uncontactable. he told a workmate he was going to Vietnam, on holiday until the 25th of August...he faces a firestorm if he returns and every indication is that will not return. I have found an address for a previous girlfriend of his in ho chi minh and I suspect he will be there....he will have no idea that I have kept her address...I suspect it may prove useful in the future anyway it is our only clue to where he is...I think that is it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The police have given you correct information about the registartion of the car-this does not give you ownership. But since the registration is in your name there is a risk you may get parking or speeding tickets, which will cause some bother. So i suggest cancel the registration and report it stolen. The oral agreement to put the car in your name is ***** ***** to prove ownership you would need him to confirm the sale. The police should however have accepted the report as stolen and you should insist.